In August 1884 Alfred Hirst established Hirst Brothers as a company in Union Street, Oldham, Great Britain. His aim was to produce timepieces, jewellery and optical goods of every kind.
By 1894 the business was flourishing and the company moved to a bigger premises in Curzon Street, Oldham. Four years later Hirst Brothers registered as a limited company and moved into the twentieth century with prospects of a very bright future.
The company was on the move again in 1904, a year which also saw the acquisition of a second business in Withy Grove, Manchester. This was followed in 1907 by the purchase of a further business at Great Hampton Street in Birmingham.